Thursday, October 2, 2008

No Doubt The Years Have Changed Me (BUMP)

Johnny Depp says this line in his movie Sweeny Todd. A moive about a man in love with his wife and has a baby girl. They are taken away from him and for years Johnny Depp is obsessed with how he will get back at the man who stole them from him. Years later he has his chance and he has changed from a handsome man to the Sweeny Todd and right before he offs the guy he tells him "No Doubt The Years Have Changed Me." That is my favorite line in that movie because I feel like it is true with a lot of people as they go through life.

When you were little did you ever know an adult who you thought was so much fun and just loved to be around them? Then for what ever reason the adult is no longer around, maybe they moved off. And you go through life telling people about how awesome this person was and how funny and fun they were only to meet up with them again as an adult and the funny fun person is no longer there? You keep trying to figure out where that big ball of sun shine of a person went because clearly this person that you are with now is not the person you knew back then? Then you start to question yourself thinking maybe this person wasn't so fun or funny and maybe they were just like this back then but you remember it wrong because you were a kid. Well this has happened to me in my life. I knew someone when I was a kid and they were so fun. The person was really a big ball of light and people just could not get enough of being around them but then I grew up and met up with this person again and yes they had changed.

This person had gone through divorce, being at a job for years that they did not like, lets downs, disappointments, hardships and through it all their light had dimmed. The fun, funny, awesome person that everyone once knew was barely there anymore. It made me look around at everyone I knew and had known to see that not only had this person changed but a lot of others I knew had changed as well over the years and really not for the good.

Another person I knew that use to be fun to talk to now only had complaints about everything in their life.

A friend that I have had for years and years only talks about how lonely she was and all her regrets. This person had a great laugh and I haven't heard it for a long time.

And yet another person that had always been the jokester and always making people laugh barely ever cracked a smile. I had told people about how this person was going to make them laugh so hard but after they met them they asked me "I thought you said this person was funny?" I said, "They use to be."

I understand it. I know I have changed too through the years. Let downs, fear, worry they will cloud you and put that light out that everyone once knew if you are not careful. I have learned you have to work at being positive and happy sometimes. And I really understand how at times you need to smile, be positive but dang it...you just don't want to! But you don't want to grow into the grumpy old person. The old lady yelling at everyone and cussing. You know you have seen them and you think they have lost their mind well....they have lost themselves I bet. I am pretty sure that old lady yelling and cussing and being just mean didn't always act that way.

I really feel you have to make a effort and look back at how you were when you were in your early 20's or teens and think how much you use to laugh, smile, do fun wild things, how you were to your friends, ect and compare it to now. You can make an effort to be like that again or at least try and smile a few more times a day. Trust me....you don't want to meet up with someone you haven't seen in years and have them walk away from you wondering what happen to that "fun, great" person!

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Carolyn, this entry is awesome! I put a link to it in my blog...Tammy