Monday, March 31, 2008

Precious' Bday!!!


Today is Precious' 21st Bday!! Happy Bday Precious!!! Her paper name is Sudden Threat. Her Granddad was Dash For Cash which is one of the most successful race horses ever!! Out of 25 races he won 21 with 3 second places. The age they raced him to also made him the oldest race horse to win races! I think he was around 7 and still racing. Most race horses start when they are 2 and are retried by the time they are 4. Dash for Cash was born in Frisco, Tx in 1973 and died in 1996. He was still with the same owner! He produced several offspring. Around 1300 and a horse named Sudden Dash was Precious' dad. I looked today to find info on Sudden Dash but couldn't find anything today but about a year ago (probably around Precious' Bday last year) I found some info on Sudden Dash. From what I remember he won around 90,000.00 in races and went on to become a barrel racing champ horse. Precious mom's name was Tonto Threat and it cost 85,000.00 to breed her to Sudden Dash which produced Sudden Threat...Precious. She was bread to be a race horse but the guy that had her (he had many race horses) was having financial trouble and his wife was making him (this is what he told my dad) sell all his horses so they wouldn't lose their house. Well he knew my dad through work and wanted to sell him Precious at a very low price. We bought her for 2,000.00. She was 3 years old and had never been trained but she was broke. The deal was he would sell us her if he could come and visit her and if we ever wanted to sell her to sell her back to him for the same price. The guy lived in Dallas and at the time we lived in Amarillo. Well I got her and of course fell in love with her and trained her in English jumping. Randy (her previous owner) did come and visit her several times. He really did love her and Precious really did love him. She always remembered who he was. He is the one who gave her the name Precious. She doesn't really look like a Precious but she knew her name and I didn't want to change it on her. About the time I graduated high school, Randy started asking if he could buy her back but I always said no. He stopped coming out to visit her about this time but about every two years he would call to see if I wanted to sell her back to him. He did call me about two years ago so it might be about the time he calls again to see if I want to sell her. I am pretty sure he really regrets selling her to us. I think he thought he would be able to buy her right back after he got back on his feet but I feel in love with her as well and could never let her go! She has been one of my highlights in life and is such a sweet horse!! I love her so much and she can give looks that just melt your heart!! Reading the bio of Dash for Cash his owner said the reason he felt he had so much success was because of his intelligence. Here is what his owner said " I think one thing that made Dash For Cash as fast as he was, and as successful as he was, was the fact that he has so much intelligence," said Phillips. "This horse had more intelligence, and has more intelligence, than any horse I've ever been around. When he was in his training period, in early life, this horse was just as docile as could be; you could take him out with a cotton rope and halter, and lead him out and graze him anytime, all the time he was in training. But you put him on a racetrack, and he got up on the muscle. He was that way all his life. you can go out there, and lead him anywhere you want to, do anything you want to with him, and he's just perfect. Every other day in breeding season, when he comes out of the stall and he knows he's going to the breeding barn, he gets on the muscle—but he's all business, whatever he does. And after the business is over, he's through." Precious defiantly inherited that from her granddad! One of the things I have heard through the years from trainers was she is "too smart." Happy Bday Precious!! I love you!!!