Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Power Of The Mind

So I thought I would post a little about what life taught me in the past that I would know today and would be helpful with cf. Back when I was in college and living in my first apartment I had a roommate. We worked at the same job which was retail. She was a great girl but she was a little like a mom. Always asking if I finished my homework, waking me up every morning to make it to class and always riding me so that I wouldn't be late for work, ect. Well at that time I was not as responsible as she was and was more into partying and having a good time then really caring about making it to work and class on time which I am sure that is why she was always reminding me. One weekend she was going out of town to visit her sister and I got invited to a very important party so I called in sick to work on Fri. Then on Sat something else fun came up so I decided to call in sick that day too. I had a great time that weekend but kept trying to think of something to tell my roommate so that I wouldn't get in trouble with her. On Sun (which was the day she was coming home) my chest broke out with some kind of rash. I had bought a new perfume and guess I was allergic to it. So she came home and asked how work had gone that weekend and I told her I came down with a really bad sore throat and had broken out in some kind of rash and had gone to the doctor and he said a sore throat accompanied by a rash on the skin was going around and it was contagious so I couldn't go to work on Fri and Sat. Well she bought it and was glad I was feeling better. Looking back now I do feel guilty about lying to her but back then I was a dumb kid. Well guess what happened and mind you I made the whole thing up except the rash which was actually caused by the new perfume and was gone by Mon morning.....My roommate woke up with a rash and a sore throat. Yep, I kid you not! She went to the doctor and told him my doctor said it was going around and he said, hmmm I haven't seen this but I guess it is going around since you have it. Then she told me that her doctor said it would probably be contagious for 3 to 4 days and not to go to work or school till then. And no she did not use my new perfume because I had already taken it back. I felt bad because I knew her body had done a mind over body thing because of what I had told her but I couldn't tell her that. I didn't want her mad at me. So I learned back then that the mind is very powerful!

Shortly after that I got a new job I liked a lot better and me and my roommate got along really well till we went our separate ways about 6 months later. And occasionally we keep in touch. I haven't talk to her since I started this blog so that is why it is safe to tell this story.

No comments: