Thursday, April 24, 2008

Heart Transplant

Since it is still organ donation month I want to tell another story about organ donation that touched
my life. I have a friend whose husband's father was on the transplant list for a new heart. I can't remember the details of why he needed a new heart but do remember his chances of getting one were slim. They didn't expect him to make it. My friend and her husband got married and his dad was his best man. He was very weak and to be honest, I don't think anyone there thought he would live much longer. That was in Oct. The months rolled on and I think he went into the hospital right after Christmas and wouldn't be leaving without a new heart. He held on. They got the call in May and had found a heart for him!! He had his transplant and was out of the hospital by June!! That was 9 years ago and he is still doing great!! Had he not gotten his new heart he would of missed out on seeing his first grandson born two years later and then another grandson born 6 years later. So please, if you haven't already, consider being an organ donor and give the best gift of all...the gift of life!

Thank you!

1 comment:

Scarlet O'Kara said...

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it.